National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture (NICH)
Bi-Weekly Conference Call
Tuesday August 6, 2019
10am ET / 9am CT / 8am MT / 7am PT
Attendees: Sylvia Gordon, Mason Day, Casey Sclar, Carrie, Pamela Bennett, Heather Kirk-Ballard, Cameron Donaldson
1. Rekindling Committees & Councils
a. Roles & responsibilities document
i. Keep as is-Pamela, Mason, Sylvia, Heather, Carrie
iii. Wish to create documents for individual committees, council, etc. –Everyone open to creating separate documents once we have everything
Document capable as is and used as a tool by the planning committee. In the future, separate documents could be developed. Any changes must go back to the committee to make changes.
Please send contact info for yourself and all members of your committee/council to Missy Gable.
Include preferred method of contact. Pam, Casey working on finalizing to send to Sylvia and Missy
2. Committee Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Environmental (Gail)
Needed contacts. Not on call. Need to get Sylvia and Missy list of contacts and preferred method of contact (Item 1.b.).
b. Economic (Casey)
Needed contacts. Need to get Sylvia and Missy list of contacts and preferred method of contact (Item 1.b.).
c. Marketing/Communications (Mary Kay)
Need to get Sylvia and Missy list of contacts and preferred method of contact (Item 1.b.).
d. Community Health Benefits (Pam)
Pam: Meeting this afternoon. Heather joining to push internal engagement. Specifically University faculty recruiting. Toolbox via social meeting and Newsletter.
e. Development Committee (Ellen): Not on call
- Change name to Planning Committee vs Development committee.
Sylvia gave update for Ellen.
- Scheduled two meetings in August. Set-up to meet twice a month by phone.
- Members: Shannon Spurlock, Gail Langellotto, Lloyd Traven, Susan Yoder, Heather Kirk-Ballard, Sylvia Gordon, Ellen Bauske, Jason Veil
- The task at hand Reviewing & Reevaluate:
- Our definition, External Conditions, trends, assumptions,
- Our Mission, Vision & core values
- Our organizational Structure and Current programs
3. Council Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Commercial (Mason)
Actively waiting on feedback on prototype and NICH executive committee.
b. Non-Profit (Cammie)
Try to set up first meeting in September. Have not added any new members. Actively waiting on feedback from NICH executive committee.
c. Academic/LGU (Heather)
Met at ASHS. 14 attendees. Casey, Pamela, Ellen and Heather in attendance. Planning has begun for next year. Reaching the millennials. How do we do it? Subsequent publications coming out in 2019. Heather to send Overview publication to NICH EXCOM and SCC85 organizational overview, mission and objectives to review at next meeting.
- Send contact info for yourself and all members of your committee/council to Missy Gable. Include preferred method of contact.
- Economic: Casey Sclar,
- Environmental: Gail,
- Marketing/Communications: Pamela Bennett
- Heather to send out SCC-85 publication to the NICH
- What is a majority in EXCOM? Need people to join in the calls to keep things moving.