National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture (NICH)
Bi-Weekly Conference Call
Tuesday June 25, 2019
10am ET / 9am CT / 8am MT / 7am PT
Attendees: Casey, Sylvia, Missy, Mary Kay, Pam, Heather, Cammie
1. Welcome Cammie Donaldson
Executive Director of the Native Plant Horticulture Foundation and Florida Association of Native Nurseries! Cammie will chair the Non-Profit Council.
2. Online Toolkit (Mason) – tabled for next meeting.
Any feedback from Commercial Council?
3. Rekindling Committees & Councils
Many recent changes on Committees and Councils as well as feedback that we could have a better on-boarding system. We may want to re-surface a charge/charter document for each Committee/Council that Casey developed previously. This could provide guidance, clarification on expectations, and support better recruitment and on-boarding.
Casey will communicate with Cammie and Heather to get them up and running with their Committee/Council responsibilities.
We need the contact information for the members of all committees and councils. Please gather phone numbers both office and cell as well as email addresses and ask how they prefer to be contacted. Send this information to Missy.
4. Committee Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Environmental (Gail) – tabled for next meeting.
b. Economic (Casey)
Casey engaged Marvin Miller. Due to various circumstances he will not be a good fit for the Committee Chair. Working on additional leads. Forward any ideas/suggestions to Casey. There are no current committee members who can serve on the Development Committee.
c. Marketing/Communications (Mary Kay)
Sylvia will represent Mar Com on the Development Committee. Diane Blazek is working on the tent list and is ready to upload it into their list so we can start our outreach into groups we haven’t communicated with. Helen Lawson will be getting in touch with Mason to collaborate with him on the prototype lists. Natalie Bumgarner sent final SCC-85 documents to Mary Kay for review. Mary Kay reviewing to ensure consistent with NICH messaging. Mary Kay will connect with Gail to let her know ball is in her court for pollinator infographic.
d. Community Health Benefits (Pam)
Working on internal engagement. Presented to 1K extension Master Gardeners last week at International MG Conference and monitoring for impact/new signups.
e. Development (Ellen)
Ellen (Lead), Gail L (Environmental), Shannon S (Non-Profit), Jason V (Community Health), Heather (LGU), Sylvia (MarCom), Susan Yoder. Need representatives from Economic, Commercial. Committee will be charged with development of a strategic business plan.
5. Council Updates (new, Emergent Info to Share)
a. Commercial (Mason) – tabled for next meeting.
b. Non-Profit (Casey)
Welcome to Cammie who will be chairing the Non-Profit Council! Linda Adams (COO of FNGLA) and Kirk Brown (Magnolia Plantation) will continue to serve on the committee.
c. Academic/LGU (Heather)
Deadline for the 6 publications is August 28. Will be distributed for internal review prior to this date.
Do we have a volunteer to take meeting minutes on July 9 and August 6? Heather will help with notes for both days.
- Casey will communicate with Cammie and Heather to get them up and running with their Committee/Council responsibilities.
- Need email and phone contact info (indicating preferred method of contact) for all Committee and Councils. Please send this to Missy.
- Executive team will submit contact info including preferred method of contact to Missy and Casey.
- Casey will share what he has regarding Committee/Council roles and responsibilities with all NICH Executive Committee Members.
- Forward any ideas/suggestions for Economic Committee chair to Casey.
- Development Committee participants are still needed from the Economic Committee and Commercial Council.
- Mary Kay will connect with Gail to let her know ball is in her court for pollinator infographic.
- Heather will help with notes July 9th and August 6th.