National Initiative for Consumer Horticulture (NICH)
Bi-Weekly Tuesday Conference Call Meeting MInutes
Tuesday March 6, 2018
Attending: Pam, Casey, Rick, Debbie, Shannon, Clint, Julie W., Ellen, Gail, Julie M.
1. Website Update and National Meeting Registration (Ellen)
Meeting registration is open (https://consumerhort.org/conference/)
a. Cost to register be $130; Hotel rooms will be free; Food will be free. We can not comp registration fees off of the grant.
b. There is an option to apply for a travel grant. Information required is basic (name, email, reason for applying, reason for attending).
c. If you are inviting stakeholders, you can pay for their registration by paying for them in Event Brite
d. You can also apply for a travel stipend (up to $350) to pay for their travel costs.
e. Applications for travel stipends are closed at the end of April (so we can let folks know, promptly, if they have received a travel grant)
f. On the registration site, you will register for a hotel room. Cut-off for hotel rooms is June 4th.
g. To Do: Ellen will send out a note to everyone who has pre-registered, to let them know that registration is open.
h. To Do: Ellen will check to ensure that the reserved rate ($110 per night) is live on the website.
2. NICH National Meeting
a. Meeting Agenda: To Do: Julie M. and group (Gail, Ellen) to fine tune the schedule, offline.
i. Objectives of meeting: prioritize research and extension goals and to come away with a governance plan
3. NICH Resources and Releases (Suzi and Debbie)
a. New infographics: Three infographics are complete. One is in process. Press release went out to ~2,400 industry people about the #PlantsDoThat indoors infographics. Release is being picked up by various outlets. There is a new section in Green Profits. It is a page and a half, and will be all about NICH and the Infographics.
b. The infographics will soon be going up on the website.
c. Is it possible to have a sub-URL consumerhort.org/plantsdothat? Ellen said ‘yes’. To Do: infographics will go up on a sub-URL: consumerhort.org/plantsdothat
d. Has an email gone out to announce the infographics? To Do: Casey will double check that infographics have been sent to the NICH listserv.
4. Governance Committee (Rick)
[TABLED UNTIL NEXT MEETING ~ will be top of agenda.]
Ellen and Shannon to present, as Rick will be in all day meeting)
5. Committee and Updates [TABLED UNTIL NEXT MEETING ~ WILL BE TOP OF AGENDA]
i. Community: Pam sent her report out to all
ii. Economic: a little over 200 people have responded to the Economic Survey
1. To Do: Ellen will send out a note to everyone who has pre-registered, to let them know that registration is open.
2. To Do: Ellen will check to ensure that the reserved rate ($110 per night) is live on the website.
3. To Do: Julie M. and group (Gail, Ellen) to fine tune the schedule, offline.
4. To Do: Casey will double check that infographics have been sent to the NICH listserv.
Draft NICH National Meeting Agenda
Hilton Garden Inn
Meeting Goals: Finalize NICH’s strategic Plan and create a sustainable organization.
- What are the priorities, that we can create a new value proposition for the consumer horticulture industry?
June 27, 2018: Participants arrive to meeting site
1:00pm – 5:00pm: Breakout Rooms reserved for Committee Meetings (Economic, Environmental, Community Health)
- Economic Committee has confirmed that they will be meeting
4:30pm: Meet in hotel lobby for informal meet and greet / networking
5:00pm: Depart for Reception at Atlanta Botanical Garden
6:00-7:00pm: Time to Wander Botanical Garden
7:00pm-9:00: Reception at Atlanta Botanical Garden
8:00pm: NICH Executive Team Meeting ~ needs to be rescheduled
June 28, 2018: Full workday
To Do: What is missing from this day: strategizing to better position the industry to take advantage of new and existing federal resources: what does becoming a stakeholder at this table look like.
7:30 am: Continental Breakfast
8:00 am: Welcome (Casey Sclar, NICH Chair)
- Remarks from UGA Official or Local Congressional Delegation/Staff (To Do: Ellen will speak with Brian T. to see if he can reach out to local officials)
- Recognition and appreciation (meeting committee)
- Facilitator introduction and explanation of roles (Julie)
- Overview of meeting, Process for practical consensus and request for ‘organizational agility’
8:30am: Ice Breaker, Participant Introduction
- Participant Introductions: if we do individual participant introductions, it will take this time ~ if not, it can be condensed
9:30 am: Review of NICH history and progress: why NICH formed, overall goal, benchmarks achieved to date, work yet to be done.
10:00 am: Results of focused listening sessions; NICH advisory council input: what are CH industry and non-profit priorities?: NEED MORE TIME ON THIS. Need at least an hour on the listening sessions.
10:30 am: Results of NICH committee literature review and gap analysis: where do identified gaps in the literature align with identified priority research and extension projects identified during listening sessions and via advisory council input
11:00 am: Break into work groups. Discuss proposed strategic goals, keeping in mind how progress will benefit the CH industry, as a whole. Where can NICH make the most impact. Be prepared to vote on priority areas, over lunch.
12:00 pm: Continue conversations over working lunch. Vote for priority areas using the ‘dot’ method (Each person will be given one blue, one red and one yellow dot. Vote for your 1st (blue), 2nd (red) and 3rd (yellow) choice of priority focus areas, by placing a dot next to your choice.
1:00 pm: Presentation of NICH proposed business plan: how will we sustain our efforts over the long term?
During this hour, Bauske and Langellotto will separately work to conduct a quick rank-order analysis of research and extension topics, weighted according to the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes received for each topic.
1:30 pm: NICH business plan discussion and development of action item list
2:00 pm: Presentation of rank order analysis of prioritized research and Extension topics. Discussion. Vote on adoption of NICH prioritized research and Extension topics.
3:00 pm: Break and Group Photo
3:30 pm: Final vetting of NICH strategic plan: (a) prioritized research and extension goals, and (b) business plan. Form workgroups around NICH strategic goals. Action items for next steps.
4:30 pm: Housekeeping tasks, final thoughts.
June 29, 2018: NICH Executive Team, only: 8:00am – 12:00pm
- 8:00am – 9:00am: NICH Executive Committee breakfast, debrief, action items, timeline, next steps